That would be Liberal Senator [you thought it would be a Tory? Really?] Grant Mitchell who last week on his website pointed out that our beloved Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, be telling nose stretchers when it comes to job creation.
The Senator writes that "We are inundated with an onslaught of propaganda about how the Conservative government is creating jobs. I became very skeptical of this mantra when I saw them reporting jobs created since 2008-2009, rather than since the beginning of their mandate in 2006. And with good reason. They state that they have created 910,000 jobs since 2008-2009."
He then goes on to list how the Stephen Harpers have, at best, spun the narrative.
1. That half of these jobs are replacements for jobs lost between 2006 and 2008. So, they have created in the order of only 450,000 net new jobs since the beginning of their mandate. That amounts to roughly 5,500 jobs per month. Paltry.Imagine, the Stephen Harpers lying.
2. How many of these new jobs were Temporary Foreign Worker jobs?
3. How many of these new jobs were unpaid internships which they count as employment?
4. How does the quality and pay of these jobs compare to that of the jobs lost?
5. Why it took Harper over 7 years to start lamenting the lack of skills training that is at the root of jobs going without people with the qualifications to fill them?
6. That 254,000 young peoples' jobs were lost from 2006 to 2009 and that they have not been replaced at all, and in fact 3000 more have been lost since then. And, how many more jobs lost were replaced by unpaid internships which would mostly be filled by young workers.
I am aghast.