Tuesday, April 17, 2012

4496...Jokers To The Right Of Me

Or at least to the right.

The Wildrose,poised to run the Conservative dynasty out of Alberta because the Conservatives were not backwards, er right wing enough, are going to be a lot of fun in that Munich 1938 kind of way.

My friend Rachel Decoste linked me to this article from The Toronto Star that is, well, amazing in a weird 1950's Deep South kind of way

Wildrose candidate apologizes for saying being white is an advantage

April 17, 2012 19:04:00
Bill Graveland
The Canadian Press

CALGARY—A Wildrose candidate in the Alberta election is apologizing for suggesting he has an advantage in his ethnically diverse riding because he is white.

“I think as a Caucasian I have an advantage. When different community leaders such as a Sikh leader or a Muslim leader speaks, they really speak to their own people in many ways. As a Caucasian, I believe that I can speak to all the community,” Ron Leech said on the “South Asian” program that aired on CHKF-FM, a multicultural radio station in Calgary.

Leech offered an apology for his remarks Tuesday. He said he had made them on the spur of the moment and hadn’t put his point across very well.

“I apologize if something was said at the moment ... that misrepresented the community or myself,” Leech said at a campaign stop in Calgary. “What I was trying to say, which didn’t come out that way and I apologize ... is that it’s not a disadvantage for me to be Caucasian to represent the diverse cultures of my riding.”

Wildrose Leader Danielle Smith was not aware of the comments when asked about them Tuesday, but said she wasn’t concerned after they were read to her.

“No, I’m not concerned about them. I think every candidate puts forward their best argument for why they should be the person who can best represent the community,” she said.

Smith, who said on the weekend that there hadn’t been any “bozo eruptions” from any of her candidates, has now had two glitches in the last week.

Edmonton candidate Allan Hunsperger, a pastor, came under fire for a blog he wrote last year in which he said gays and lesbians would end up in an eternal “lake of fire” if they didn’t change their ways. Smith stood by the candidate, saying a Wildrose government would not legislate any “contentious social issues” and her candidates can worship how they please.

Premier Alison Redford said she was surprised at Leech’s remarks and said it wasn’t something that would be tolerated in her Progressive Conservative party.

“I think those are inappropriate comments and I know they don’t reflect my views,” Redford said.


How about them Eskimos, eh?

WFDS

No comments:

Post a Comment