Tuesday, October 6, 2009

985...Forward This To Jack Layton Please

This is the end of an editorial in today's Winnipeg Free Press regarding a proposed bill that will allow the police to give anyone they want a breathalyser.

Demanding that the vast majority of drivers submit to a breathalyser is beyond inconvenience. It assumes guilt. The drunk driving problem in Canada is widely accepted to be contained now to a small, hard-core group of unrepentant law breakers. That is the group policy makers ought to be concentrating on -- not the great tide of innocent motorists.
Expect more stripping of your rights in the Harper-Layton government.
WFDS

2 comments:

  1. How this crap happens in a "free" country is beyond me. I saw the CEO of MADD talking about this saying that it would save 400 lives and 1500 injuries in the first year and nobody ever questions where they can possibly get these imaginary numbers from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This crap" happened to me in Sydney, Australia, at about 11:00 a.m. That's right, at 11:00 in the morning.

    I had my wife and four children with me in the car. I was asked to count to 4 into a wand.

    It took 30 seconds.

    We headed to the Blue Mountains later, and both my wife and I felt a little better knowing that the Aussies were doing their part in preventing drinking and driving. Note: since 1991, the blood alcohol level in Australia has been .05 versus .08 in Canada.

    This whining reminds me of the minority who whined when seat belt use became mandatory and the minority who whined when restaurants had to eliminate smoking areas.

    The Conservatives, NDP, and Liberals will support this initiative because it is the right thing to do and its time has come.

    ReplyDelete