Saturday, May 23, 2009

138...Teachers and Corey Booker

When is the last time you heard of a teacher getting fired? Seriously.

Corey Booker, the mayor of Newark, New Jersey, late last summer at the Democratic convention, made the point that once a teacher is hired he is never fired and that the reason is because their union is way, way, wayyyyyyyyyy too strong.

This isn't new of course. I cannot speak for you but I had at least as many bad teachers as good ones. I don't recall anyone getting their ass fired. And my high school, St. Pius X in Ottawa, had teachers that molested kids, not fired; teachers who punched kids in the head, not fired; teachers who were drunk, not fired; and on and on and on. According to HBO's Bill Maher, out of 43,000 teachers in Los Angeles last year, 11, e l e v e n, were fired. One would have to think that number would be a bit, and by a bit I mean a lot, low.

WFDS

No comments:

Post a Comment