Sunday, August 16, 2009

678...CdnBusDrvrRefusesUSBckgndCheck&Wins

Score one for assertion of one's personal freedoms.

Stephanie Sydiaha of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, which is about 400 km north of the American border, refused to allow a U.S. security firm perform a mandatory background check out of privacy concerns and has won that battle.

CBC News reported earlier this week that Miss Sydiaha, who drives for First Student Canada, in a very gutsy play, refused to let her employer do a background check on her because it was using a U.S.-based security firm.

She was concerned about what would happen to her personal information once it crossed the border, where privacy laws are more lax than Canada's. She was also worried that, by refusing to submit to a check, she'd lose her job.

Props to the company which has acceded to her request and will use a Canuckistanian company to do the security checks.

WFDS


1 comment:

  1. Hi Dan

    Hey thanks for calling me gutsy, I appreciate it, and by the way, I was not offered a job as a school bus driver, in fact I learned in September that the company was offering my job to one of my colleagues in July before I talked to the media. So the moral of the story is standing up for yourself results in unemployment plain and simple. I got another job so it's all good, but thanks for the story.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete