Sunday, March 1, 2009

16...March Is The Cruelest Month

It is not often that I get to use my English degree, a degree that I obtained, proudly, from Canada's 46th best university, Carleton University, but today is the day for today I will quote T.S. Eliot, a scribbler of poems from centuries past who stated that "March is the cruelest month."



Well, in the tradition of the mighty U of K [Carleton, where the "K" stands for Quality], I of course misquoted Mr. Eliot [thank you Google]; apparently April is, in Eliot speak, the cruelest month.



Who'da thunk it, eh?



I musta been sick that day or something.



To think that I was all set to write a long post about how March is the cruelest month because the weather is cold and then wet and then warm and then, well, if you live up north, way north, like in Ottawa or Winnipeg or Drummondville you know what I mean. Then I was going to write how, depending upon how much you drink to celebrate St. Patrick's Day and how soon you start celebrating it and how long your blackout/hangover/coma is, March can often be the shortest month. Madness.



Best laid plans of mice and men, eh? Best laid plans.



John Steinbeck.



Less than a thousand words and two literary quotes; I will take my "B" please.



WFDS

1 comment:

  1. Robbie Burns, not Steinbeck. http://www.bartleby.com/59/3/bestlaidplan.html

    Downgraded to a C.

    ReplyDelete