Monday, September 27, 2010

2883...Heroine's Tree To Live In La Belle

CBC.ca reports that "A sapling of the famous chestnut tree that comforted Anna Frank as she hid from the Nazis during the Second World War will be planted in Montreal on Monday."

That would be today so it is done.

As you know the young woman was forced by Adolf Hitler and his gang of thugs to hide in an attic in Amsterdam for years and the young tree planted today came from a chestnut that came from a tree that was her connection to the outside world while she was exiled.

In her book, The Diary of Anne Frank the little girl wrote that "Nearly every morning I go to the attic to blow the stuffy air out of my lungs," she wrote on Feb. 23, 1944, "From my favourite spot on the floor I look up at the blue sky and the bare chestnut tree, on whose branches little raindrops shine, appearing like silver, and at the seagulls and other birds as they glide on the wind. As long as this exists, I thought, and I may live to see it, this sunshine, the cloudless skies, while this lasts I cannot be unhappy."

In a link to that era, an era that was not so long ago, a former classmate of hers, Celine Polak, was planning at being at the ceremony.

Never forget.

WFDS

No comments:

Post a Comment