Monday, August 23, 2010

2773...May Be They Don't Like His Music

Wyclef Jean, Fugee's singer and new politician, has been rejected by the electoral commission in Haiti meaning he cannot run for President this November. He was one of fifteen candidates rejected.

Daniel Krebs in the Rolling Stone says that Mr. Jean is not taking the decision of the commission lying down. In fact he is royally pissed. The supposed reasoning is that "...Haiti's constitution requires that all presidential candidates live in the country for at least five years before starting a campaign. Jean has lived in the U.S. since he was a boy."

Mr. Jean replied thusly:

After careful consideration and much soul-searching, I have made the decision to contest Haiti's board of election's pronouncement stating that I am ineligible to run for the presidency of the country. I will be seeking a solution through legal channels, and I urge my countrymen to be patient through this process.

In the 36 hours since the board's decision, I have been in constant conversation with my family, friends and advisers, and reading the comments of good people and supporters throughout the Haitian diaspora. I've also been closely monitoring the situation on the ground, which I am happy to report has remained peaceful and thoughtful. I, along with my supporters, am deeply disappointed that I have been denied the chance to present my candidacy to Haiti's voters. I want to continue in my efforts to always keep Haiti top of mind for the world -- I don't want to give anyone the chance to forget the earthquake victims, or my impoverished homeland, rich only in human potential and kindness.

These factors, and more, inspire me now. I am heartened by the world's focus on Haiti and its needs, as well as the great spirit of the Haitian people -- my people, and I cannot in good conscience give up my quest to lead Haiti to the greatness I know in my heart we are capable of reaching. I cannot surrender now, simply because an obstacle has been set before me; now is the time I must stand up and show Haiti -- and the world -- that my vision of a nation renewed and redeveloped is a vision for which I am willing to fight.

We in Haiti are united in our struggles, and we will be united in our victories and triumphs. Now is the struggle -- let us peaceably bear it and look forward to the time when our efforts will pay off, for all my fellow Haitians. Thank you for your love, understanding and support.

Wyclef Jean



Mr. Jean's platform is one that will have special impact on Canada, specifically Quebec and even more specifically Montreal. Mr. Jean proposes that Haitians abroad be allowed to hold dual citizenship and for expats to be give the opportunity to vote.

WFDS

1 comment:

  1. "Mr. Jean's platform is one that will have special impact on Canada, specifically Quebec and even more specifically Montreal. Mr. Jean proposes that Haitians abroad be allowed to hold dual citizenship and for expats to be give the opportunity to vote."

    and, apparently, for the constitution not to apply to him

    ReplyDelete