Wednesday, July 6, 2011

3910...Kirk Brant: Shut The F*ck Up

Kirk Brant is a self promoting and self aggrandizing 41 year old Mohawk man from Kanata, a communications officer for Aboriginal And Northern Affairs Development Canada, and for his mid life crisis instead of getting a sports car or a young girlfriend he has decided to become a cultural warrior.

Quick question Mr. Brant: When the Washington Redskins are playing the Dallas Cowboys, who do you cheer for?

Anyhow.

The ever pandering Earl McCrae of the Ottawa Sun, had an article this week about how the Nepean Redskins, a kids football team named after the Washington Redskins, affect Mr. Brant. Mr. McCrae writes that "Kirk Brant was driving along when he saw a big sign announcing registration for the teams that play in the Nepean Redskins community football league, and was hit, as he’s been many times before, by what he says is the racial insensitivity of the word redskins. 'It was like a kick in the face.'"

Yeah, except it took you 30 plus years, the Nepean Redskins were formed during the Jimmy Carter administration, 1980, to receive the blow. Mr. Brant thinks the team should change its name. Immediately. He doesn't mention why it took him three decades to come to this conclusion.

May be he is on to something. I also feel offended when I hear the nickname Fighting Irish as in St. Pat's Fighting Irish in Ottawa, Notre Dame Fighting Irish in South Bend and the thousands of other Fighting Irish teams in North America.

It is perpetuation of a cultural self image that makes me so angry that I want to fight.

Wait, scratch that, if I fight I will end up in a Paddy Wagon.

Oh, oh, more anti Irish racism.

Mr. Brant, now that you got your name in the paper and pats on the back from your patronizing friends please, please, please go away.

Surely there are more important things you can do for your community. Here are three areas you can work on. Raise Native literacy rates, high school graduation levels and lower incarceration rates.


WFDS

3 comments:

  1. Unfortunately Mr. Brant is only one of many (of all races and cultures) who feel they have a right not to be offended or upset by the actions of others or their own interpretations thereof. Three words: get.a.life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If U R world famous why haven't I or anyone I know heard of you? Fact:'Red skins' was a euphemism for native american scalps that which a bounty was paid for...this is as tasteless as you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To answer your question re my World Famousness, it seems odd that you haven't heard of me yet here you are replying to me which would indicate you have heard of me.

    Just saying.

    And I do sign my name.

    As for being tasteless, I would think with my body fat, a little marinate and a slow cook I would be anything but.

    WFDS

    ReplyDelete