Thursday, June 24, 2010

2536...Canuck Style Earthquake

Thanks to our building standards we all have a story to tell.

Canna seem to find anyone who got hurt but I did find this nice piece in the Vancouver Sun by Shannon Proudfoot that I clipped from:

Less than an hour after the 5.0-magnitude tremors subsided, someone had created a T-shirt design declaring "I survived the 2010 Ottawa earthquake," which was selling for $26.50 from CustomInk.com.

And although the epicentre of the quake was located just north of Ottawa, Torontonians seemed to want to stake a claim, too.

Another T-shirt design emblazoned with, "I survived Toronto earthquake 2010" appeared on Zazzle.com soon after the Ottawa version. Spacing, an urban landscape magazine in Toronto, also swiftly whipped up "I survived the quake!" buttons featuring the image of a trembling CN Tower, selling them for $2 through PayPal online and at a handful of bricks-and-mortar businesses in Toronto.


If you are frugal just wait a month or six and those t-shirts will be in the dollar bins at Giant Tiger.

WFDS

2 comments:

  1. In the bin next to those will be garments that read: I protested at the Toronto G-20 and all I got was this lousy T-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to our building standards we all have a story to tell

    You understand that the scale used to measure earthquakes is logarithmic, right? A magnitude 5 earthquake isn't much of a threat to mud huts so I wouldn't crow too much about Canadian building standards just yet. I know it was the centre of the universe that was hit this time but a little restraint wouldn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete